The GMNC likes to start early and stay late! Look for another long season of fun ski racing for all types on some of the best snow and terrain you can find. We try to make the races challenging for the top athletes but also comfortable for the rest of us who just want to get out and test ourselves against a fun course.
The Winterstart is a 5km race with two chances on the same course to test your early season fitness. The first race is classic, the second is freestyle and one race fee gets you entry to both races. It's a two-for-one opportunity to race yourself into shape! We encourage you to heed to tradition and do both races, but we won't turn you away if you only want to take part in one. Unless we get substantial snow before race day, the course will be an out and back course on Scales Lake road starting at the Skyway trailhead, but that's subject to change with evolving snow conditions.
This race is part of the Grand Mesa Nordic Race Series presented by Empowered Energy Systems. We'll have cash prizes for the first place female and male finisher, and great raffle prizes from Loki, Peach Street Distillery, Ela Family Farms and others.
Online registration closes Friday December 3rd at 6pm.
- 5k Classic race starts at 11am (series points will be awarded for the classic race only)
- 5k freestyle race starts at 12:30pm (points will not be awarded for this race)
- One entry fee gets you entry to both races (but you aren't required to do both).
- $20 entry fee for members of the GMNC
- $25 entry fee for non members
- We are encouraging participants to register online so there will be a $5 extra charge for day of race registration ($25 for members and $30 for non members)
- Face covering must be worn both before and after your race in the start finish area.
- Face coverings may be removed at the start line
- Finish times will not be available until the next day
- The race course is subject to race day change if weather dictates.
- The designated race course will be marked with course markers on race day, but it is the responsibility of the racer to know and understand the course.
Please follow all public safety guidelines from the CDC, USFS, state of Colorado, and Mesa/Delta Counties. https://health.mesacounty.us/covid19/
NOTE: Road closures do happen on Grand Mesa and there can be weather so nasty even us nordic stalwarts find it necessary to postpone a race. Please check the website or our Facebook page for late breaking news regarding races before heading up.
Series points will be awarded for the first 20 places in the classic race only as follows.
1st Place – 20pts. 11th Place – 10pts.
2nd Place – 19pts. 12th Place – 9pts.
3rd Place – 18pts. 13th Place – 8pts.
4th Place – 17pts. 14th Place – 7pts.
5th Place – 16pts. 15th Place – 6pts.
6th Place – 15pts. 16th Place – 5pts.
7th Place – 14pts. 17th Place – 4pts.
8th Place – 13pts. 18th Place – 3pts.
9th Place – 12pts. 19th Place – 2pts.
10th Place – 11pts. 20th Place – 1pt.
For any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.