Job Posting – Executive Director
The Grand Mesa Nordic Council (GMNC) is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to fill the role of Executive Director. The Executive Director will be the professional liaison between the public, GMNC members, staff, and board. This person will hold a key leadership role and will be responsible for ensuring the effective operation of the GMNC and will implement the Annual Operating Plan.
The Executive Director will report to the Board Chairs and will work with the board, all sub-committees, and staff to fulfill our mission to promote cross country skiing on Grand Mesa in western Colorado.
In many ways, the GMNC’s first ever Executive Director will be defining and refining their own job scope and responsibilities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven leader, self-motivated, highly organized, and adept at prioritizing competing demands
- Creative, resourceful, and solution-oriented
- Effective interpersonal communication, and conflict management skills
- Expert reading, writing, and editing skills
- Proficient computer skills. The GMNC is currently using Microsoft Office, Google Mail, Google Drive, Little Green Light (LGL), Zoom, Facebook, Instagram, MailChimp
- Experience with raising funds for a non-profit, including grant writing and obtaining sponsorships
- Experience working with volunteer boards and committees
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with Nordic skiing facility operations
- A passion for Nordic skiing and proficient ski skills to use and enjoy the trails
1. The Executive Director (ED) will be the public face of the GMNC. The ED will work collaboratively with the board, sub-committees, staff, volunteers, sponsors, and partners.
2. Partner coordination and communication (shared duty with an assigned Board member)
- Individual and Business members of the GMNC
- US Forest Service
- Coordination calls, at least monthly during ski season
- Coordination on developing issues
- Annual Operating Plan and potential updates during the season
- Master Development Plan (updated every five years)
- Mesa and Delta County governments
- State government 501c3 details and oversight
- CDOT (shared duty with Operations Manager)
3. GMNC Finances
- oversight of seasonal budget throughout the season
- budget review and development in the off-season (assist Board Finance Committee)
4. Member outreach and communication (shared duty with Board Membership Committee)
- Supervise, assist, and provide input in the creation and sending of the newsletter (early season newsletter and bi-weekly MailChimp)
- Social media updates and email blasts
- Respond to GMNC phone inquiries, email, and snail mail
- Staff membership tables and education
- Volunteer recruitment and coordination, in season and off season
- Event publicity
- Manage communication including membership variances in LGL (coordinate with bookkeeper)
- Updating current GMNC website with news items; coordinate with IT/web person.
- Recruit members, businesses, and donations
- Grant writing
- Solicit business sponsors for events and programs
- Organize donation drives
- Organize Colorado Gives Day
- Employee supervision and operations- collaboration and coordination with Operations Manager, Lessons Program Manager, Bookkeeper- payroll
- Frequent updates of a Grooming Report on the GMNC website and social media.
- Asset management- equipment and fuel maintenance, warming hut, storage container
- Coordinating with weather adviser
- Coordinating capital projects
- Coordinating with summer operations crew for trail maintenance
7. Programs oversight (shared duty with Race Director, Lessons Program Director)
- Lessons Program
- Lessons and Clinics
- Adult training groups – Master’s, Women’s, VA
- Kids program development, possibly with partner organizations
- Event creation, organization, and coordination
Salary and Conditions
The Executive Director is a salaried year-round position beginning in July 2021.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and range from $50,000 - $60,000 with bonus potential.
The estimate of the Executive Director work hours will average 40-50hrs/week between October and January, 30-40hrs/week between February and April; 15-25hrs/week between May and September. Hours and location of work will vary and be flexible, to include evenings and weekends. Benefits include two weeks of paid vacation (not during the GMNC operating season) and up to one week of paid medical leave.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter using the apply button on this page
Deadline for applications June 15th, 2021.
Call 970-250-5715 or email email@example.com for more information.
GMNC Mission Statement
Grand Mesa Nordic Council is a community-supported, nonprofit organization of people who love to cross-country ski on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. We are dedicated to promoting fun, safe, cross-country skiing experiences for skiers of all ages and abilities.
GMNC Non-Discrimination Policy
Grand Mesa Nordic Council does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for our staff, members/clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. Minors may be excluded from membership or participation at the discretion of Grand Mesa Nordic Council leadership.