Dog Trails and Dog Etiquette
Many people enjoy skiing with their dogs on the trails maintained by GMNC. Here are a few tips to get the most enjoyment with your four-legged friends:
Where are Dogs Allowed?
- Please help keep the Skyway Trail System dog-free. Skyway is the staging area for children and adult lessons as well as the Grand Mesa Nordic Ski Race Series. You can enjoying skiing with your dog on dog-friendly trails at County Line, Ward, or any of the other many trails on the Grand Mesa.
Dog Etiquette Tips
- The USFS requires dogs to be under physical restrictive control or on a 6’ leash in parking lots and trailheads.
- USFS policy requires dogs to be physically restricted or in sight and under voice control at all times on the trails.
- Remember you are responsible and liable for your dog’s behavior.
- Dogs must yield to all other trail users. Understand that dogs are an unpredictable hazard to skiers.
- Clean up after your dog and remove feces from the trails – either carry poop bags and take with you, or remove waste from the trails with a scoop.
- If you encounter the groomer on the trails, step aside off the trail, and hold onto your dog by the collar.